AWS EMR has following cluster states:
- STARTING – In this state, cluster provisions, starts, and configures EC2 instances
- BOOTSTRAPPING – In this state cluster is executing the Bootstrap process
- RUNNING – State in which cluster is currently being run
- WAITING – In this state cluster is currently active, but there are no steps to run
- TERMINATING – Shut down of cluster has started
- TERMINATED – The cluster is shut down without any error
- TERMINATED_WITH_ERRORS – The cluster is shut down with errors.