Nagios is open source software to monitor systems, networks and infrastructure. The main benefits of Nagios are as follows:
- Monitor: DevOps can configure Nagios to monitor IT infrastructure components, system metrics and network protocols.
- Alert: Nagios will send alerts when a critical component in infrastructure fails.
- Response: DevOps acknowledges alerts and takes corrective actions.
- Report: Periodically Nagios can publish/send reports on outages, events and SLAs etc.
- Maintenance: During maintenance windows, we can also disable alerts.
- Planning: Based on past data, Nagios helps in infrastructure planning and upgrades.