There are following main benefits of GIT:
- Distributed System: GIT is a Distributed Version Control System (DVCS). So you can keep your private work in version control but completely hidden from others. You can work offline as well.
- Flexible Workflow: GIT allows you to create your own workflow. You can use the process that is suitable for your project. You can go for centralized or master-slave or any other workflow.
- Fast: GIT is very fast when compared to other version control systems.
- Data Integrity: Since GIT uses SHA1, data is not easier to corrupt.
- Free: It is free for personal use. So many amateurs use it for their initial projects. It also works very well with large size project.
- Collaboration: GIT is very easy to use for projects in which collaboration is required. Many popular open source software across the globe use GIT.