Cloud computing is a very good option for an organization to scale and outsource its software/hardware needs. But before selecting a cloud provider it is important to consider following points:
- Security: One of the most important points is security of the data. We should ask the cloud provider about the options to keep data secure in cloud during transit and at rest.
- Data Integrity: Another important point is to maintain the integrity of data in cloud. It is essential to keep data accurate and complete in cloud environment.
- Data Loss: In a cloud environment, there are chances of data loss. So we should know the provisions to minimize the data loss. It can be done by keeping backup of data in cloud. Also there should be reliable data recovery options in case of data loss.
- Compliance: While using a cloud environment one must be aware of the rules and regulations that have to be followed to use the cloud. There compliance issues with storing data of a user in an external provider’s location/servers.
- Business Continuity: In case of any disaster, it is important to create business continuity plans so that we can provide uninterrupted service to our end users.
- Availability: Another important point is the availability of data and services in a cloud-computing environment. It is very important to provide high availability for a good customer experience.
- Storage Cost: Since data is stored in cloud, it may be very cheap to store the data. But the real cost can come in transfer of data when we have to pay by bandwidth usage. So storage cost of data in cloud should also include the access cost of data transfer.
- Computing Cost: One of the highest costs of cloud is computing cost. It can be very high cost with the increase of scale. So cloud computing options should be wisely considered in conjunction with computing cost charged for them.