Route 53 provides multiple options for creating a Routing policy. Some of these options are as follows:
- Simple Routing: In this option, Route 53 will respond to DNS queries based on the values in resource record set.
- Weighted Routing: In this policy, we can specify the weightage according to which multiple resources will handle the load. E.g. If we have two webservers, we can divide load in 40/60 ration on these servers.
- Latency Routing: In this option, Route 53 will respond to DNS queries with the resources that provide the best latency.
- Failover Routing: We can configure active/passive failover by using this policy. One resource will get all the traffic when it is up. Once first resource is down, all the traffic will be routed to second resource that is active during failover.
- Geolocation Routing: As the name suggests, this policy works on the basis of location of end users from where requests originate.